Skyrim Unarmed Build - Part 4: The Curiosities of Windhelm

JOURNAL ENTRY 4

 
Inside Windhelm's walls, I pass by two racist Nords hassling a Dunmer woman on my to the Candlehearth Hall. Inside the tavern I hear about some orphan kid trying to summon assassins and a string of murders committed recently by someone they're calling "The Butcher". What a cheery place!

 
The tavern's server, Susanna recommends I ditch Candlehearth Hall for the New Gnisis Cornerclub in the slums. I decide to take her advice and on my way out the door I bump into the racist Nord from earlier. He picks a fight with Do'raan, but unlike the Dunmer lady, this kitty doesn't shy away from a brawl.

Checklist:

  • Mikael (Whiterun)  
  • Uthgerd the Unbroken (Whiterun) 
  • Rolff Stone-Fist (Windhelm)
  • Cosnach (Markarth)
  • Chief Burguk (Dushnikh Yal Stronghold)
  • Chief Larak (Mor Khazgur Stronghold)
  • Chief Mauhulakh (Narzulbur Stronghold)
  • Chief Yamarz (Largashbur Stronghold)
  • Benor (Morthal)
  • Borkul the Beast (Markarth)
  • Dryston (Markarth)
  • Hofgrir Horse-Crusher (Riften) 

Windhelm turns out to be a very unsettling place. The Dunmer are stuck living in the slums and the Argonians aren't allowed within the city. I'm honestly surprised they let me in! A merchant called Niranye assures me that they do eventually warm up to anyone who proves themselves useful. Good to know. As I'm doing a few menial tasks I stumble upon a dead body. Oh no, "The Butcher" has struck again!

The murdered girl turns out to be Susanna from the Candlehearth Hall. Raan, being the curious kitty that he is, does some investigating and it turns out Calixto Corrium, a guy running a curiosities museum was the killer. He was trying to resurrect his dead sister using pieces of the murdered women and Ayleid necromancy.
 

Time to hit the road again. Orcs and vampires are the only trouble I encounter this time. Just off the main road I discover Nightgate Inn. This place is really isolated and the only patron inside complains bitterly about the bed and drink. I make small talk with the inn keeper, who informs me the place is sustained by the rent from a single tenant. Depressing, but at least he's managing to keep the place afloat.

From here it is a mostly uneventful jaunt to Winterhold. Winterhold was destroyed by a fairly recent cataclysmic event that drove most of the town's people away. The few that remain here are the jarl, the inn and a single shop. The main draw (and ire) of this hold is the Mages Collage.


Previous Entry - Part 3: A Cat in the Ratway

Next Entry - Part 5: Trouble in the City of Stone

Start at the Beginning

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picturesque Places: Ghost of Tsushima

Picturesque Places: Elder Scrolls

Picturesque Places: Monster Hunter